The Supervisor allows the user to manage their Home Assistant installation from Home Assistant. The Supervisor has the following responsibilities:
- Run Home Assistant Core
- Update Home Assistant Core. Automatically roll back if the update fails.
- Make and restore backups
- Unified audio system
- Update the Home Assistant operating system (disabled in a Supervised installation)
- Home Assistant Core: home automation platform
- Add-ons: extra applications that the user wants to run on their server
- DNS: allows core and add-ons to communicate among one another
- Audio: allows core and add-ons to play audio
- mDNS: help discover and connect to devices and services in the network
- Supervisor: manages all parts of the system and keeps it up to date
- Docker: container service to run applications.
- Operating System: Linux based operating system
- D-Bus: communication system to control parts of the operating system like the network manager